11/28/09

Load huge outline member for ASO

I am building a ASO cube with Essbase(9.3.1) for shipment industry.
outline involve 3 large munber of dimension members:
1. DIM_SHIPPER (1,465,000), max generation is 5
2. NA_STATE (162,300), max generation is 3
3. DIM_CONSINEE (875,200), max generation is 5
4.... others dimension member maximum no more then 100,000. Top 2 dimensions are 80000 and 60000, others only thounsand level.
outline total including 10 dimension (not involve the account dimension).
Question:
1. After I finished loading all dimensions except DIM_SHIPPER, NA_STATE,DIM_CONSINEE. I found I can't open the outline with edit model, and Essbase report 'out of memory'error. At the same time I can't use ODI to load dimension anymore, ODI always report network error and time out error. (I think time out error is because long time no response from Essbase, am I correct?)

Answer:
1. Since can't use ODI to build dimension, so I change the loading ways and use flat file to build dimension. This ways is work, can build dimension in Essbase, but the performance is very poor. I found need to cost nearly 8 hours to finished DIM_CONSINEE dimension building.
2. Check for Disk Space. We usually get this error when there is insufficient disk space to create .pag files.
3. Increase your agent thread count, so research these essbase.cfg settings. I know I have seen that issue in the past with the agent being too busy, and adjusting threads greatly helped.
AGENTTHREADS
AGTSVRCONNECTIONS
SERVERTHREADS
Also, do not make AgtSvrConnections greater than AgentThreads. Note that using more threads will consume more memory, and is very specific to your OS so you probably should ask Oracle support what they recommend based on your specific environment before you change it.

4. Following are the minimum and max settings:
AGENTDELAY 20 60
AGENTTHREADS 2 500
AGTSVRCONNECTIONS 1 7

-----------
Answers: